Odorless tasteless white powder with a yellow or pink tint. Almost completely insoluble in water and denser than water. Hence sinks in water. Toxic by inhalation and by ingestion.
Air & Water Reactions:Insoluble in water.
Mercuric salicylate is incompatible with acetylene, ammonia, chlorine dioxide, azides, calcium (because of amalgam formation), sodium carbide, lithium, rubidium, copper . Incompatible with alkali-metal iodides (LiI, NaI, KI, RbI, CsI). Soluble in warm solutions of alkali-metal chlorides and bromides and alkali-metal hydroxides [Merck].
Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Avoid any skin contact. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.